A History of the Lord Baltimore Hotel. (Part Four: 1999-2013)

1999: Morton Busick, the last surviving son of Lord Baltimore Hotel founder Harry Busick, dies: M.S. Busick obituary

“Morton S. Busick, a former longtime Guilford resident, was born and raised in Roland Park. He was a 1925 graduate of the Gilman School.

He assisted his father in overseeing the construction of the Lord Baltimore Hotel and, after earning his bachelor’s degree from the University of Virginia in 1930, joined his brother H. Nelson Busick, who became president of the hotel, and his other brother, Howard M. Busick, who was also a vice president of the Lord Baltimore Hotel Co., in the business.

Mr. Busick was the hotel’s purchasing agent until 1960, when the hotel was sold to Herbert R. Weissberg, of New York City.”

May 2001: Lord Baltimore Hotel becomes a Radisson property again: LBH back to Radisson

“A partnership between Olympus Real Estate Partners and Carlson Hotels Worldwide announced it completed its purchase of the former Hilton Baltimore and Towers Hotel.

The venture, Radisson-Olympus Captial Parners renamed the hotel the Radisson Plaza hotel.

The Radisson Plaza was originally built in 1928 as the Lord Baltimore Hotel. It was a Radisson brand in 1997, when it was sold and became the Hilton Baltimore and Towers.”

January 2010: The Lord Baltimore Hotel celebrates its 80th birthday: LBH celebrates 80th

“For an 80-year-old lady, the Lord Baltimore Hotel looks pretty good.  Sure, she’s had a little work done.  A few lifts and tweaks. A lobby bar put where her front desk was. Meeting rooms where the hair salons and haberdashers that once graced her mezzanine level had been.

But in the Versailles ballroom off the main lobby (once the hotel’s formal dining room), arching mirrored glass windows still reflect the dazzle of white marble, crystal chandeliers and wedding gowns. The Coffee House, though stripped of its Danish modern furniture, still welcomes visitors, now as a coffee bar featuring Starbucks. Upstairs in the main ballroom, Mabel and John Giorgi’s 1940s murals of historic Baltimore and its founders decorate the walls. And, if you look closely in the historic lobby, you’ll find vestiges of the bombshell beauty of a hotel the Lord Baltimore once was in the marble that fans out above the elevators, the brass rails and original mail chute, and in the spectacularly lovely ceiling, a meadow of original carved flowers on a green lawn.

Now officially known as the Radisson Plaza Lord Baltimore, the hotel was the brainchild of Kent County native and former Caswell Hotel manager Harry Busick, whose goal in 1928 was “to build in the most central spot in fast-developing Baltimore a ‘super hotel’ which would provide adequate facilities for the city’s expanding activities.””

August 1, 2013: Lord Baltimore Hotel takes down Radisson flag again after sale: LBH drops Radisson name

“The Lord Baltimore Hotel has dropped the Radisson flag and will begin renovations soon to mark its new ownership.

LB 1928 Associates LLC acquired the property at 20 W. Baltimore St. in March for $10 million, according to state assessments and taxation records. The address of the LLC is the home of Miami-based Rubell Hotels.

The hotel’s overhaul will include revamping its 439 guest rooms, updating meeting and public spaces, and adding 10 elevators. Renovations, which will aim to restore the property to its “original grandeur and prominence,” will begin in a few months, according to a statement from the hotel.”

Advertisements